August is the perfect time to go golfing. You’ve probably already settled into your summertime routine and taken your summer vacation, and you’re now looking for something different to do to enjoy the rest of the summer before the fall rolls around. Because the August days are slightly shorter, it often means cooler mornings and evenings, so a day of golf in the sun may be more comfortable. It all makes for the opportune time to hit the links.
If you can’t decide just where to go, though, here are some of the best golf courses in southeast Michigan. Try them all and see which one you like best!
1. The Links of Novi, owned and operated by Singh: Designed by noted architect Jerry Matthews, the Links of Novi is an upscale, 27-hole course perfect for golf outings, golf lessons, and league play, as well as weddings and other special events.
2. Shepherd’s Hollow Golf Club in Auburn Hills / Clarkston: Set amid forests and fields, this challenging 27-hole course features wide natural fairways and large flowing greens that require a variety of shots, making for a more unique golfing experience. It’s often recognized near and far as one of the top golf course in the state.
3. The Orchards Golf Club in Washington Township: Consistently ranked among the best golf courses in southeast Michigan by a variety of websites and organizations, The Orchards is an 18-hole championship daily fee course set in a classic style within a 525-acre residential and golf community.
4. Northville Hills Golf Club: Priding itself as an “Arnold Palmer Signature Design Masterpiece,” Northville Hills features natural wetland areas, native woodlands, lakes, and rolling slopes with wide expansive fairways and multiple tees.
5. Moose Ridge Golf Course in South Lyon: With its rolling landscape and beautiful design, Moose Ridge is appropriate for golfers of all skill levels.
6. Tanglewood Golf Club in South Lyon: Designed by William Newcomb, this championship golf course is one of the most challenging in the local area. The 27-hole course is often named among the top public golf courses in Michigan, yet provides a country club-like atmosphere.
7. Fellows Creek Golf Club & Banquet Center in Canton Township: Designed by renowned father-and-son team Bruce and Jerry Matthews, Fellows Creek has three nine-hole layouts measuring more than 3,200 yards each, as well as 18 holes of footgolf.
8. Pheasant Run Golf Club in Canton Township: This community golf facility features a challenging 27-hole layout designed by Arthur Hills.
9. Beacon Hill Golf Club & Banquet Center in Commerce Township: This 18-hole golf course features beautiful lakes and wetlands, making for an exciting game with breathtaking views. It also features one of the prettiest banquet halls in Oakland County.
10. Fieldstone Golf Club in Auburn Hills: Commemorating its 20th anniversary this year, Fieldstone is often named one of the very best golf courses in southeast Michigan. Also designed by Arthur Hills, Fieldstone features a diverse, tree-lined landscape with wetlands with rolling fairways.
11. Shenandoah Country Club in West Bloomfield: This highly rated golf course features spectacular grounds perfect for tournaments and outings.
12. Pine Trace Golf Club in Rochester Hills: A sister course of the prestigious Shepherd’s Hollow, the scenery of this Arthur Hills-designed course is one of the many reasons this is one of the most beautiful places to play golf in southeast Michigan.
13. Blackheath Golf Club in Rochester Hills: Designed by Kevin Aldrich, Blackheath sits on 128 acres and is ideal for players of all skill levels. It features challenging bunkering, four sets of tees, and a hilly landscape that make for a very interesting game.